Friday, May 30, 2008

Going to eat mudbugs

Going to skadattle to Louisiana this weekend. On Saturday we are having a birthday party (v.1) for Maggie. She is starting to get the concept of a birthday although she still sings Happy Birthday every time she eats cake or ice cream. The birthday party is also a crawfish boil. It’s been a while since I’ve eaten my favorite bottom-dwelling, caraspaced, arthropod. I finished packing today and feel embarrassed on how “electronic” I have become. Packed was: portable DVD player, ipods, laptop, digital video camera, digital camera, cellphones, and a rat nest of chargers (which I’m sure I am still missing 1 or 2).

My “squaring away” continues, cutting into my posting. I’ve managed to get every scrap of music I own onto my computer and loosely organized. I noticed a slight rub today as Itunes automatically coded recent imports into mp4s. While I understand mp4 is better than mp3, it doesn’t work in my car. Hopefully I can figure out an easy way to convert.

I need to start keeping my camera handy. On the interstate the other day I zoomed by a wonderful scrap of American culture. Here is the image: Toyota pick-up, lowered, early 90s model with only the “YO” part of the logo left on the back; one-tail light; expensive wheel rims on one side; FEAR GOD bumper sticker; fake bullet-hole stickers on the back windshield; 17” Blue LCD screen…on the dash…with some action movie playing; and then my favorite…blue florescent lights shining from the undercarriage. The latter was my favorite because as I whizzed by the 55mph driver, there was only one headlight working. We all have our own criteria for the word “priority,” I suppose. Encounters like this make me think about the ongoing evolution/intelligent design/creationism debate. The debate is a waste of time. Evolution is over. And I’ll close on that optimistic note.

No comments: